Monday, May 10, 2010

A Weekend Well Spent

T and I headed down to the wilds of Connecticut to celebrate Mother's Day, which included surprising T's Mom (so fun! I love a surprise!). We had a great time overall and enjoyed an unusual weekend together.
I spent much of my time in my Mom's garden. There is some repair work to be done and some groundhog recon, but I think we got started on what could be a great garden this year. And the fun of it got me thinking about what else could be done. Pruning the backyard orchard (apples, pears, peaches, plums, and cherries), enclosing the berry bushes, building a new compost bin, setting up a coldframe, getting chickens, fixing the spigot, and putting up a tent platform that can double as a deck when T and I aren't around. In general, what I'm calling backyard homesteading; a yardstead. I don't know, I'll work on the terminology. But I'm excited for this work to come and I'm excited for the future. What an uplifting weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got to go home and have a great weekend!
    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the wooden gate--I'd have to have a prison fence like that if I wanted to have a garden here and not just feed the deer. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete