Thursday, May 27, 2010

Who needs shoes? Enter the barefoot revolution?

I had never ever had a foot problem, blister, hot spot, swamp foot, etc....until, that is, I was invited on a sunset hike up Mt. Hunger. All it took was a pair of new boots and a poor sock choice and there they were: not twenty minutes in half dollar sized blisters on both my heels - excruciating! However I took this in stride and decided I would not keep my hiking partners - especially Lauren who would make this her first hike up Hunger - from the summit. So I took my boots off, freed my feet, and proceeded to barefoot hike up the rest of the way to the summit of Hunger. What little mud there was I found soothing and cool between my toes as sweat dripped from my nose and forehead the whole way in 90 degree heat. As I reached the top no worse for wear, my feet bare, I think I might have learned a thing or two about my feet and myself. There is nothing better than good hiking company on a hot day with a beautiful sunset, PBR and you never know you might just forget your shoes.....

No comments:

Post a Comment