Saturday, January 8, 2011

Now get out there.

I think its a matter of ski and let ski! Is it really about how much snow you get and what your mountains look like that makes us content skiers? I know that if I went around telling everyone how good it was where I am and how crappy it is where they are I would A~ not have many friends to ski or ride with and B~ I'm probably not happy where I am skiing and riding. Skiing for me and the people I spend time with doing it with do it because they love it no matter where they are. Whether its on skis, a board or a sled its all about that sensation of sliding on snow that I think we all can all relate to, is it not? Yeah were getting skunked right now here in VT but the snow will come and if it doesn't well that's just the way it goes. We had an awesome year for trail riding last year and well what do you know I managed to break my first bone and lost three months! three months! I still managed a good season despite my broken wing and explored the White mountains which are stunning in their own right, point is I made the best of it.  A comment on my blog comes to mind as well from a very northerly poetic person " Our mountains don't need us to defend them as they speak for themselves". So here's to where you are and where you might  find yourself in the future, because where ever you find yourself; its all good.


Now get out there.
 
On a lighter note I had a rare and wonderful conversation with my grandmother of 90 years!  She has good days and bad but today she could hear me loud and clear as she said " Were getting 5-6" of snow today I just might go sliding"  What was that? I said "Well you know when I was younger I loved to slide on snow".  All I can remember for the last 50 years of knowing my grandmother was that she hated the cold and complained of it constantly.  But here she was years later remembering the feeling of sliding on snow and well like I said old, young, ripper, weekend warrior, east or west we can all say that there is just something about the feeling of sliding on snow.  Now thats something I think we can all agree on.
 
Tristan

3 comments:

  1. My man, you are a constant reminder to us all that there is indeed a great world out there in every season. I get so bummed about how stupid injuries or work obligations keep me from experiencing optimum "outdoor time", and then I see here how you cheerfully grab and appreciate the stolen moments that are there if we keep our eye out for them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said my friend. If I could define the one single moment when everything became clear and focused in my life it would be my 2001 Long trail thru-hike. I know that you and I share that same exsperience of walking in the Green mountains. I look forward to walking in the Greens in the near future perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Grandma must rock! Did she get out there... safely ? I would have to say that, from my experience this past year, the sense of community where you ski is the foundation to positive experiences and memories. The pace of life and the culture in New England is very distinct. If you were to sit in a coffee shop here vs where you are, there are people flapping jaws about the fact that they rock climbed yesterday and skiied today, and they used this new gear (same thing), and bowls they skiied were awesome, and all of that. But the common theme, still is... making the most of the day where you are, and smiling while doing it. Of course, safety first. As long as there is a mountain out your door, happiness will exude. And having a few great friends in these locations always helps.

    ReplyDelete